The city of Shumen was founded 3200 years ago. During ancient times the city was cradle on the rich spirit and significant culture - Thracians, Romans, Byzantines, Bulgarians. In close proximity to Shumen are the first two capitals of the Bulgarian nation - Pliska and Veliki Preslav and the religious center Madara. Special active culture and educational activities develop during the golden age of Bulgaria when the city is called Simeonis. There are two different stories regarding the name of the city Shumen. The first is that the name descends from the name of Tsar Simeon Veliki: Simeon - Shimeonis - Shumen. The second is that it descends from shuma, or foliage - a greatly timbered place with many forests. From its finding until the 15th century, the city was situated in the region of the Shumen fortress which explains the well-made complex of public and culture buildings.
After the crusades march of Vladislav Varnenchik during 1444, Shumen was destroyed by the Turkish and moved to the present place at the foot of Ilchov Skat. Shumen was one of the most active centers of the Bulgarian Renaissance. On the 11th of May, 1813, the city follows the first in Bulgaria celebration of the Holy Brothers Cyril and Methodius and the first theatrical production. During 1828, it is founded the first ( ) school for girls and during 1856 the first ( ) class school and the first cultural community center. During 1846, the first schools amateur groups are founded. The first Bulgarian symphony orchestra is founded in Shumen during 1850. Created here are notable Shumen men - from the Renaissance: Dobri Voynikov, Vasil Droomev, Sava Dobroplodny, Panayot Volov, Nancho Polovich, Iliya R. Bluskov and others.
After the liberation of Bulgaria from Turkish rule, Shumen was
the center of the region or the district during every
administrative partition with two brief exceptions - after
September 9th, 1944 for two years and from 1987 with the
introduction of the new regions in Bulgaria. Now it is the center
for a renowned municipality.