The beginning of the military education in Bulgaria is set in 1878. On September 1st the Russian empire commissioner Prince Alexander Donducov – Corsacov signs an order to establish the first military school, known as the Sofia School and located in Sofia. From 1879 to 1908 it is called Military School of His Royal Highness and from 1908 to 1944 – Military School of his Royal Majesty.
In 1945 the Military School of his Royal Majesty is renamed to “Vasil Levski” National Military School.
In the years that follow WW II in accordance to the analyses of the government and Ministry of Defense , Bulgarian artillery continues to develop and rearm, thus creating necessity of officers with special artillery and technical education.
According to Act 1657 of the Presidium of the Great National Assembly in 1948 “Georgi Dimitrov” National Military Artillery School is established in Sofia.
In 1951 the school is relocated in Shumen and the first three-year course of education of artillery officers is conducted. The following year, the Higher Artillery Officers' School in Samokov was disbanded and the artillery education was relocated entirely in Shumen thus making the School a center for education of officers for field and anti-aircraft artillery for the Bulgarian Armed Forces.
In 1959 the first five-year curricula are developed to meet the requirements of the Law of Higher Education thus providing a civilian as well as military degree. According to the military specialty cadets attain three different civilian ones. Cadets with military specialty “Field Artillery” and “Artillery Weaponry” get civilian qualification as “Mechanical Engineers” , “Anti-aircraft missile forces” – “Radio Engineers “, and the specialty “Artillery Instrumental Intelligence” – “Engineer in Geodesy, Cartography and Photogrammetry”. New departments are created in order to provide engineer education. The first PhD and the first habilitated lecturers start work here.
With the development of rocket missiles in the army in 1962 the Ministry of Defense orders the Artillery School to prepare officers for the mobile “land – air” rocket complexes as well as for the radio intelligence , monitoring and assurance of flights. The management of the school conducts reorganization and new departments are created in order to ensure special military training of cadets. During the 70s the first electronic computing center is created thus setting the beginning of automation in management of armed forces. In 1972 Department “Automation and Cybernetics” is found in order to provide highly qualified specialists.
Gradually, the school becomes unified study center for training, re-training and qualification of officers with technical engineer degree as well as non-commissioned officers for the Artillery, Air Defense missile complexes, Air Defense Forces and Radio-technical Forces. Highly qualified teachers work hard to make the school famous.
With a decree of the President of Republic of Bulgaria in 1991 the school becomes “Panayot Volov” Higher Military School for Artillery and Anti-aircraft Defense (HMSAACD).
In 1997 the civilian specialty “Communication Technics and Technology” is accredited by the National Agency of Accreditation. A year later the School becomes the first accredited military school and the second amongst technical schools in Bulgaria. The specialties “Military Deed”, “Mechanical Engineering”, “Mechanical Technics and Technology” , “Communication and Computer Technics” and “Computer Systems and Technology” are accredited as well.
Some structural changes in military education system follow and in September 2002 “Panayot Volov” HMSAACD transforms into Faculty Artillery, Anti-Aircraft Defense and Communication Information Systems” (A, AAD and CIS) of “Vasil Levski” National Military University.
In 2006 a new specialty is created – “Administrative and Information Security” part of “National Security” with a Bachelor Degree, and in 2008 a new department “Information Security” is formed thus setting the beginning of training in Master Degree and PhD programs of the same specialty.
In the middle of 2007 Center for Language and Computer Education and Information Technologies is opened as part of “Vasil Levski” , located on the territory of the faculty. There the foreign training of cadets and students is conducted. Later it is renamed to Foreign Language Department.
In 2009 a unique sports center for cadets, students and graduates is opened. It meets all the contemporary requirements for sports equipment.
In 2010 the National Agency for Evaluation and Accreditation allows the faculty to give a PhD in the following fields: “Dynamics, Ballistics and Control of Aircraft Flight”, „Communication Web and Systems”, „Use of Cybernetics Principles and Methods in Different Fields of Science” и „Radio-location and Radio-navigation Systems”
In 2014 a new engineer specialty for cadets and students is opened – “Computer Technologies for and Web Design”.
Notable dates and events of development faculty “A, AAD and CIS”:
The goal of the Faculty is to actively work to
develop the military education in Republic of Bulgaria by the
means of training officers for the Bulgarian Army, officers who
are perfectly trained, who are morally, physically and psychically
stable, ready to be leaders at work as well in society.